Open SiteMaster (OSM) is plant-level server software that acts as a hub to coordinate actions and exchange serialization data between systems. Using a web-based user and machine interface, OSM covers all aspects of serialization and aggregation, and its architecture is specially designed to be scalable and adaptable to your specific business logic and IT environment.
How It Works: Through Streamlining, Efficiency, Agility
With its ability to stock process orders and serial numbers in advance, OSM provides network isolation with corporate, if necessary, making the plant autonomous for days and weeks of production by feeding and distributing work to the packaging lines.
OSM 2.0 offers a powerful combination. At its core, OSM provides renowned industry-specific expertise and superior general functionalities. At its edges, it includes open, customizable scripts for maximum flexibility and customization. Thanks to this unique feature, OSM has the integrated extended capability of running a group of scripts that you can either adapt or create, to fit your particular business logic and connect with your IT environment.
With its modern architecture and exclusive personalization capabilities, OSM gives you maximum control, scalability and versatility for all your serialization management needs.
What It Does: Serialization Management at Its Best
- Process Order Repository: OSM can request or directly receive process orders from the ERP system to handle and allocate them for local packaging.
- Serial Number Management: Right out of the box, OSM supports several types of coding: SGTIN, SSCC and custom serial numbers, as well as barcodes such as GS1 Application Identifiers, Chinese E-Code, Brazil IUM, Data Matrix, etc. Moreover, OSM can allocate serial numbers in different ways—sequential, random, pre-randomized, or shuffled. It can also cache serial numbers for multiple lots; restock when set threshold is reached; obtain serial numbers on a lot basis; and even generate numbers locally for full Level 3 network isolation.
- Serialization Reporting (EPCIS): After a serialized batch, OSM can locally store and display various reports—reconciliation, performance, inspection, batch, audit—for all lines and send them to the serialization database or corporate EPCIS repository at Level 4. Plus, OSM has the unique ability to act as a temporary in-batch EPCIS repository for a broken flow or a palletizing room.
- Production Master Data (Recipes): With OSM, production parameters can originate from the ERP, OSM master data, or a combination of both.
- Central Configuration Point: OSM can be your single point of entry for all your line setups—no need to go from line to line. You can create recipes; establish batch flow configurations; set up multiple flows; assign recipes to customers or markets; set triggers; add more steps to your process (e.g., pallet, shipping); select report formats, etc.
OSM: Main Advantages
- Allows web-based access from anywhere, to an unlimited number of users, controlling viewable content and availability of functions based on group roles and assigned rights
- Saves time and limits errors with a central configuration point at plant level for all your packaging lines, especially the ones using LineMaster
- Adapts to your business logic, as actions and triggers can be added or modified and used in fully configurable work flows (rework item or full batch, broken flows, etc.)
- Limits the number of communications with the corporate serialization server and changes in data ownership by keeping your production data at the plant level until all actions are completed (full-batch rework, QA sample, QA approval, etc.)
- Enables you to take ownership and become autonomous thanks to the flexibility and openness of customizable scripts that run on Python code, which you are free to copy and adapt
- Connects to any Level 2, 3 and 4 system that allows standard access to data or has documented API and/or that can use OSM web services ─ No vendor lock-in!
OptelBridge: Open Scripting Feature
With its proven serialization expertise and nearly three decades of experience working with pharmaceutical companies, Optel knows how important versatility is in this industry. In order to offer maximum customization and agility in its inspection or serialization solutions, Optel created the OptelBridge concept, an exclusive open scripting feature that’s an integral part of OSM’s outstanding ability to accommodate each and every customer’s very unique processes and IT environment.
OptelBridge scripts are open-source files enabling infinite flexibility and scalability to extend OSM functionalities and IT connectivity as required. Written in the Python programming language, your IT professionals can create all the scripts needed for OSM to run according to your specific infrastructure. There is one script per connection, and an unlimited number of connections are permitted, allowing you to interface with as many corporate repositories as you need. And the best part is, that any time an IT interface changes, only the associated script must be updated—not the entire system.
Innovative Technology: Readily Expandable and Modular
In addition to its powerful architecture composed of a robust serialization core and flexible open-source edge, OSM can enable you to do even more. For example, if you add on additional steps to your serialization process in the future, optional modules can be purchased for needs in particular areas such as:
- Palletizing Room: The Pallet Manager module for OSM is designed to handle cases coming from different lines for different batches and/or products, supporting the concept of broken-flow or virtual pallets. This module works with an in-batch database in OSM allowing manual or automatic pallet aggregation and showing users the pallet summary dashboard.
- Warehouse: The Manager module for OSM connects handheld terminals allowing multiple warehouse actions like printing labels, QA sampling, reworking, shipping and receiving. The module bridges OSM with the WMS (Warehouse Management System) to track and trace the data one more step closer to its consumer.
Particular Benefits for CMOs: A Unique Value Proposition
OSM offers all the features and capabilities a branded or generic pharma may need, but it is even more compelling and adapted to the reality of contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) and contract packers.
CMOs deal and interact with many customers with their own systems and methods to provide process orders and serial numbers, and for different products and markets. Once packed, all the EPCIS reports have to be returned by the CMO to each customer’s EPCIS repository. This represents several IT connections, massive transactions, and a multitude of exceptions.
Fortunately, OSM’s very flexible nature allows CMOs to work with as many customers and products as required, each with their own specific batch flow, and different IT connections (open scripts run by OptelBridge) to interact with all the ERP and serialization servers on the market.
OSM is a first-rate solution for CMOs, capable of handling and/or coordinating both plant and corporate-level actions.